On completion of this unit you should be able to demonstrate competency in the areas of food safety and hygiene to ensure that food produced for human consumption is safe and suitable. This will involve being able to:
- Demonstrate knowledge to ensure observation of food safety policies and procedures.
- Demonstrate knowledge sufficient to identify food safety hazards and to take preventative measures.
- Identify responsibilities of food handlers in a school food service facility.
- Demonstrate knowledge sufficient to ensure safe and hygienic practice in a school food service facility.
- Demonstrate correct use of equipment used to ensure food is prepared safely and suitable for human consumption.
- Demonstrate ability to implement a food safety program in a school food service facility.
- Demonstrate an organized and ethical approach to work as a food safety supervisor.
- Public Health Legislation
- Role of the Health Department
- Microbiological Causes of Food Poisoning
- Chemical Food Poisoning
- High Risk Factors
- Temperature Control
- Personal Hygiene
- Preventing Cross-Contamination
- Cleaning & Sanitizing
- Safe Food Supplies
Food Premises Sanitation
- Construction Requirements
- Equipment Design & Maintenance
- Garbage Storage & Handling
- Pest Control
- Recipe Audits
- Monitoring Criteria
- Review & Examination
(50 multiple choice questions)